The 35 Ecoboost timing chain is responsible for maintaining the synchronous operation of the engine’s valves and pistons. Over time, the timing chain can stretch or wear, leading to engine misfires, reduced power output, or even engine failure.
Replacing the timing chain involves removing the engine’s front cover, timing gears, and chain. The process requires specific tools and knowledge and is best performed by a professional mechanic.
The 35 Ecoboost engine is a popular choice for many car enthusiasts and car owners. This powerful engine is known for its fuel efficiency, reliability, and performance. However, like any other engine, the 35 Ecoboost engine has its own set of maintenance needs, one of which is the timing chain.
Related Article: F150 Ecoboost Timing Chain Warranty
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take you through everything you need to know about the 35 Ecoboost timing chain, including the signs of a failing timing chain, the process of replacing the timing chain, the cost of replacement, and the benefits of replacing the timing chain.
Signs of a Failing Timing Chain:
A failing timing chain can lead to several problems with your 35 Ecoboost engine. Here are some of the most common signs of a failing timing chain:
- Engine Misfire: A timing chain that is stretched or has jumped a tooth can cause an engine to misfire, resulting in a decrease in power and efficiency.
- Engine Noise: A failing timing chain can produce a rattling or ticking noise, especially when the engine is idling.
- Engine Warning Light: If the timing chain has failed, the engine warning light may illuminate the dashboard.
- Engine Stalling: A timing chain that has failed can cause the engine to stall, especially at low speeds or during acceleration.
- Engine Damage: A failed timing chain can cause serious engine damage, such as bent valves or damaged pistons.
- Engine Overheating: A failing timing chain can cause engine overheating due to the lack of oil pressure caused by the failure of the oil pump.
Note: If you notice any of these symptoms, it is best to have your vehicle inspected by a professional mechanic as soon as possible to prevent further engine damage.
The Process of Replacing the 35 Ecoboost Timing Chain:
Replacing the timing chain in a 35 Ecoboost engine is a complex process that requires specific tools and knowledge. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:
Step 1: Prepare Your Workspace
- Locate a flat and level surface to work on.
- Ensure that you have all the necessary tools and parts.
- Remove the negative battery cable to prevent accidental electrical discharge.
- Place an engine support bar under the engine to secure it in place.
Step 2: Drain Engine Oil
- Locate the oil drain plug and remove it using a socket wrench.
- Allow the engine oil to drain into a drain pan.
- Reinstall the oil drain plug.
Step 3: Remove Engine Accessories
- Remove the engine accessories, such as the air intake and exhaust systems, that are in the way of the timing chain.
- Label the parts and connections to ensure proper reinstallation.
Step 4: Timing Chain Access
- Remove the timing chain cover using a socket wrench.
- Locate the timing chain and tensioner.
- Remove the timing chain tensioner using a special timing chain tool.
Step 5: Replacing the Timing Chain
- Remove the old timing chain.
- Install the new timing chain, making sure to follow the correct orientation.
- Reinstall the timing chain tensioner and tighten it to the correct torque specification.
Step 6: Reinstall Engine Accessories
- Reinstall the engine accessories, such as the air intake and exhaust systems.
- Reconnect any electrical connections.
- Tighten all bolts and clamps to the correct torque specification.
Step 7: Refill Engine Oil
- Fill the engine with the recommended oil type and amount.
- Start the engine and check for any leaks or other problems.
- Check the oil level and add more oil if needed.
Step 8: Final Inspection
- Inspect the timing chain and tensioner for proper operation.
- Check for any leaks or other problems.
- Test drive the vehicle to ensure proper operation.
Note: This is a general guide to replacing the 35 Ecoboost timing chain. The specific process may vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle. It is best to consult a professional mechanic or the vehicle’s repair manual for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
- Tuned 3.5 Ecoboost F150 0-60
- 3.5 Ecoboost Cam Phaser Delete
- Program 21N08 Pcm Reprogram Due to Engine Shudder
Tools required for 35 Ecoboost Timing Chain Replacement:
- Engine Support Bar
- Timing Chain Tool Kit
- Socket Set
- Wrench Set
- Torque Wrench
- Pry Bar
- Flat Blade Screwdriver
- Engine Oil Drain Pan
- Engine Oil Filter Wrench
- Shop Rags
Note: Some of these tools may be optional, depending on the specific replacement process. It is best to consult a professional mechanic or the vehicle’s repair manual for a complete list of tools required for your specific make and model.
Common Mistakes to Avoid:
When replacing the timing chain in a 35 Ecoboost engine, it’s important to avoid common mistakes. Here are some of the most common mistakes to avoid:
- Not using the correct tools: Using the wrong tools or not having the correct tools can lead to incorrect installation and damage to the engine.
- Not properly securing the engine: Failing to secure the engine before removing parts can lead to injury or damage to the engine.
- Not draining the engine oil: Failing to drain the engine oil before replacing the timing chain can result in oil contamination and damage to the engine.
- Improperly reinstalling engine accessories: Failing to properly reinstall engine accessories, such as the air intake and exhaust systems, can result in engine performance issues and leaks.
- Incorrect torque specifications: Tightening bolts and clamps to the incorrect torque specification can result in engine damage or failure.
- Not properly aligning the timing marks: Failing to properly align the timing marks can result in engine damage or failure.
- Not checking for leaks or other problems after installation: Failing to check for leaks or other problems after installation can result in engine damage or failure.
- Not testing the vehicle after installation: Failing to test the vehicle after installation can result in engine performance issues or other problems.
Note: It is best to consult a professional mechanic or the vehicle’s repair manual for the most accurate and up-to-date information on avoiding common mistakes during timing chain replacement.
Cost of Replacing the 35 Ecoboost Timing Chain:
The cost of replacing the 35 Ecoboost timing chain varies depending on several factors, including the cost of the timing chain, the cost of labor, and the cost of any additional parts that may need to be replaced. On average, the cost of replacing the timing chain can range from $500 to $1500.
Benefits of Replacing the 35 Ecoboost Timing Chain:
There are several benefits to replacing the timing chain in your 35 Ecoboost engine, including:
- Improved Engine Performance: A new timing chain can improve your engine’s performance, leading to increased acceleration and power output.
- Increased Engine Life: A new timing chain can increase the life of your engine, preventing costly repairs down the road.
- Reduced Engine Misfires: A new timing chain can reduce the likelihood of engine misfires, leading to a smoother and more reliable driving experience.
- Improved Fuel Efficiency: A new timing chain can improve your engine’s fuel efficiency, saving you money on gas in the long run.
How often should I replace my 35 Ecoboost timing chain?
The 35 Ecoboost timing chain typically needs to be replaced after 100,000 miles.
Can I drive my car with a failing timing chain?
No, it’s not recommended to drive your car with a failing timing chain. Doing so can cause engine damage or other problems.
How can I tell if my timing chain is failing?
Some of the most common signs of a failing timing chain include engine misfires, reduced power output, unusual engine noises, and engine warning lights.
Is it expensive to replace the 35 Ecoboost timing chain?
The cost of replacing the 35 Ecoboost timing chain can range from $500 to $1500, depending on several factors, including the cost of the timing chain, the cost of labor, and the cost of any additional parts that may need to be replaced.
2011-2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost Timing Set Replacement Part 1: Getting Inside the Engine
The 3.5 Ecoboost Timing Chain Replacement is a quick and easy process that can be done at home with the right tools. This blog post provides a step-by-step guide on how to replace the timing chain on a 3.5 Ecoboost engine,
As well as what tools are needed for the job. With this guide, anyone can perform this replacement themselves and save money on costly repairs.
- How Many O2 Sensors Does a Ford F150 Have
- Ford Truck Starts Then Dies Immediately
- Ford F150 Cam Phaser Recall